top of page

Navigations of 2015

From Mexico to the Galapagos


At the beginning of February 2015 we suffered from Guaymas (Mexico, Sonora) after preparing the boat for the crossing of the Pacific. The crew consisted of Nanni (skipper), Paolo, Bernard and Gianni.

It was not easy to find the necessary materials, but the main things were done.

From Guaymas we crossed the Sea of Cortez towards Loreto and stopped in San Carlos to get water, then in Agua Verde, Timbabichi, San Evaristo and La Paz, where we loaded water and diesel.

We then headed to Puerto Vallarta.

There, after some repairs, modifications and refueling and delicious dinners, we completed our Mexico exit paperwork and headed to the Galapagos.

The route was approximately 1,700 ocean miles, nearly 2,400 from Guaymas.

We had some lulls of wind, but also violent ripples passing off the fearsome Gulf of Tehuantepec and southwest of Panama.

In the Galapagos, the weather remained mostly calm and warm, with a lot of humidity. Meticulous entry procedures with meticulous checks on the cleanliness of the hull and the absence of insects and mice inside and high costs, but then with a two-month residence permit, as already requested by Italy.

There we traveled up and down the three ports several times where it is allowed to stop, enjoying with the guests places, views, sea, baths, animals and good food.

The boat needed several repairs and maintenance and the local artisans proved to be competent, kind, fast and at a great price, as opposed to the practically unavailable and very expensive parts (a small grilllo 60.00 Euro!).

The long sea that enters the shelters, which have the undeserved name of ports, has given a lot of annoyance. Not too beautiful, but very stinking sea lions that we managed to keep mostly away from the cockpit, where they wanted to come to sleep.

However, the Galapagos denied us the much-requested eruption, which came a week after we left! Much more detailed news in the various blogs written at the moment



From the Galapagos to the Marquesas


The crossing from the Galapagos Islands to the Marquesas Islands is one of the longest ocean journeys, more than 3,200 miles.

Driven by the trade winds, Nanni (the skipper), Salvatore, Enrico, Pietro and Alice arrived in Hiva Oa after 25 days of sailing, also because at one third of the way they realized that they had lost the propeller starting from the Galapagos , the last time they had used the engine!

A fairly regular crossing, despite a persistent contrary current which delayed the arrival. Probably due to El Niño, which was beginning to create anomalous conditions across the Pacific.

In fact, hardly any fish or cetaceans have met, except near the islands.

The winds blew quite sustained at times, around thirty knots for days, raising a considerable sea, but never such as to worry us.

The arrival and anchoring under sail in the crowded bay of Tha Uku crowned the emotions of the trip. An almost unique experience for its length and relative tranquility.

Salvatore and Nanni then spent a month wandering around the islands before leaving for Tahiti with Nicoletta.

From the Marquesas to Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora


A "small" crossing of only about 1,000 miles, over water of an incredible lapis lazuli color, never encountered anywhere else, with stops in the mythical Bay of the Virgins of Fatu Hiva, in the atoll of Raroia which saw the end of the raft's journey Kon Tiki and finally landing in Papeete, an almost European city, with finally a marina equipped with water and electricity, although not yet fully operational. A fishing accident that could have serious consequences was resolved quickly after a visit to the hospital, two days after the trouble. Salvatore will not bring any consequences.

Later Moorea, with its crystal clear waters, sheltered bays. the stingrays and the almost domestic black tip sharks, the humpback whales that passed us a meter away while we were in the water, the reef with its endless coral meanders full of fish, then Huaine and its archaeological remains that still conceal the bones of the human sacrifices ceased only in the last century, the Polynesian dinners and the incessant rain. Finally, Bora Bora, a beautiful landscape, but marred by the intrusive and ubiquitous presence of exclusive tourist installations.

A return voyage to Tahiti by motor against wind and sea to take the planes saw Best Explorer tackle the highest and steepest waves of his career and the six unfortunate guests plus the skipper endure thirty-six hours of shaking finished in the tranquil Moorea lagoon.

Now Best Explorer rests in the very sheltered small marina of Port Phaeton, in the isthmus between Tahiti Nui and Tahiti Iti, waiting to get a toilet to face next year's navigations.

bottom of page